Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tip #5 - Embrace Change

My first day in Dublin was not exactly how I thought it would be, even though I had no idea what to expect. What I mean is that a whirlwind of change hit me straight in the face when I landed and it hit me hard. It didn't help that I was overtired, worn out from the craziness of flying and Heathrow airport, here on my own and in a country I knew almost nothing about. I knew doing the one thing I was most scared about doing this trip was not being familiar with where I was going, who I was meeting, etc. I was so used to my comfy life back home that when I got here - I didn't know what to do with myself, what to think, where to go, how to meet people. I knew that being tired didn't help so I just looked forward to the next day with orientation and getting out and seeing the city.

Orientation was good - information overload but I needed to hear it. The girl who presented was actually a fellow Torontonian and she had lots of her own stories to share. It made me think that maybe I don't need to put so much pressure on myself to find a place and settle down (although lugging my heavy suitcase and pack around is not appealing) so I'm just going to take it day by day and embrace the change. :)
After orientation I went and had my first Irish meal and pub experience. People start drinking a lot earlier in this town vs Ontario (for the most part) and everyone is super friendly. From there I went back to the hostel and then did some walking around as I was told to take advantage of the sunny and mild weather as it's very rare...so I did. I stumbled upon Dublin Oktoberfest and it was pretty packed in the early afternoon. I stopped at a familiar place, Starbucks, and spent some time using their free Wi-Fi and then wandered back to the hostel.
My flatmates - Doris, Sabina and Anya, invited me out for their last night in Dublin and I was ready to get my first taste of the nightlife. Temple Bar is the popular bar district. Yes, that's the name of the area and, naturally, there is an actually bar in the village called Temple Bar. We went to a basement club as we got sucked into a free drink promo but any bar named Madonna is never a good idea as it was pretty stingy and well - 80's.

After one drink we headed over to another pub which I forget the name and it was fun. Very crowded like many pubs but we stayed for a pint and then went to Temple Bar (the bar). We made some friends and I went and witnessed the live band in the front row. Everyone is always happy, no negativity, no fights (don't miss that in Stratford), and everyone just wants to have fun and make new friends. The nightlife has a very late curfew so it was a late night. Like we do in Ontario, always ending the night with a snack is a good deal. Luckily there is a walk up pizza stand right beside the entrance to my hostel.



My friend - Gerald (Gearóid Ó Duigneáin) is giving me a pub tour tonight and taking to me to a poetry reading. Since my flatmates went back to Germany today, I thought I would accept the invitation to meet more new people and get a tour from a real Irishman. He's not from Dublin originally rather a small town on the west coast. Thanks to my fellow German friends for a good time and we will see who my new roommates are soon.


Everyone I met last night was shocked that I was doing this trip on my own and kept cheers-ing my pint of Kilkenny because apparently these days - most travel in groups in Ireland. So - my tip today is to embrace change because it may be scary at first but it can only go uphill from here (or let's hope). I have to decide if I want to stay longer in Dublin or venture off to Cork or Galway. I have a feeling I may stay a few more days but we will see.


To my family and friends back home - I miss you lots and don't worry, I am being very safe and cautious. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment